Friday, September 19, 2008

Munich (München) and Dachau

I unfortunately didn't get to see much of Munich. I had planned to go to Dachau to see the concentration camp, but I didn't realize it was a whole day tour. Also, I wasn't going to take the subway to get into town until I got lost!

I did come across Castle Fürstenried since that was the area I was staying in during my visit. I only took a picture of one side of it though since I had limited time.

Photobucket

It took me a few hours of riding around to decide that it was a really bad idea to try to bike without the proper maps (I thought I printed the right ones). I biked by a station entrance and decided it'd be wise to take a train to Marienplatz.

When I arrived at Marienplatz, I headed up to the ground level. There are multiple levels of trains, the U-Bahn the S-Bahn, and many different tunnels for different lines..it was confusing at first. After visiting Marienplatz every single day while there, I finally became familiar with it.

The first building that caught my eye at Marienplatz was the Neues Rathaus (New Town Hall).

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Here are pictures with Ludwig Beck Store and Mariensäule (Column of St. Mary). You can also see the towers of the Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) beyond the Column in the second photo.

Photobucket Photobucket

Pictures of the Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall).

Photobucket Photobucket

A fruit stand with Marienplatz in the background.

Photobucket

Near Marienplatz.

Photobucket

I could've taken a train and a bus to Dachau myself, but I decided to join a tour group so that I wouldn't have to deal with it. In retrospect I may have liked to have gone by myself so I didn't feel so rushed in certain places.

Before I go on, I just want to give a slight overview of Dachau because I feel it's necessary. If this subject matter bothers you, you may want to skip the remainder of this post. I'll try to keep it clean and I won't put any truly gruesome images up. I won't include pictures of certain artwork/recruitment posters which are on display for historic/educational/whatever purposes either. I personally find them interesting because it gives you a view into the mentality and the emotions involved. Pictures of the crematorium will follow however.

Click here for a prisoners view of things as well as an interesting view on firearms.

So having noted that..

Dachau was the first concentration camp which all of the others were modeled after, as well as the longest running. This was not an extermination camp, though many were killed here. I will keep my descriptions short because information about Dachau is widely spread over the internet and through many other resources. There are many accounts of what happened at Dachau, but since I wasn't there and can't say for certain how it was, I won't bother giving opinions on that. Surely it wasn't good.

First, an aeral view of the camp on a display before entering.

Photobucket

Here is the brick path that the prisoners used, many on a daily basis to go to work (except on Sundays I've read).

Photobucket

One of my favorite pictures on display. This is when the prisoners at Dachau were freed. Sadly, even some of these survivors didn't live long after being rescued due to the harsh living environment.

Photobucket

Here's a cropped version of the same picture..it can be found online of course.

Photobucket

Entering Dachau the same way the prisoners entered, through a gate that reads, "Arbeit macht frei". This has been translated a few ways including in English, "Work makes one free." and in German "Work brings freedom".

Photobucket

These plaques were on both sides of the entry way before going through the gate. Two US troops liberated the prisoners at the same time without knowing the other troop was attempting the same rescue. They're both remembered here.

Photobucket Photobucket

The role call area and the two remaining (restored) barracks.

Photobucket

Here is a side by side comparison of the old and new maintenance building. The words are no longer on the roof, but you can see what it once read if you magnify the first photo and read the caption.

Photobucket Photobucket

Here is a map of most of the concentration camps.

Photobucket

There was a ranking system for the prisoners, and they were treated differently based on what symbol they wore.

Photobucket

Here is a closeup of a memorial in front of the maintenance building.

Photobucket

This is where the 30 other barracks once stood.

Photobucket

The prisoners were shot if they ventured onto the grass.

Photobucket

The Protestant Church of Reconciliation

Photobucket

The first crematorium in Dachau.

Photobucket

The new crematorium.

Photobucket

The inside of the crematorium. In order, the waiting room and the disrobing room.

Photobucket Photobucket

The gas chamber and death chamber.

Photobucket Photobucket

Incinerator room and execution site.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The Russian Orthodox Church.

Photobucket

The Catholic Memorial.

Photobucket

The Jewish Memorial.

Photobucket

Looking down the path which separated the two rows of barracks, and a top down view of what it looked like (on a display).

Photobucket Photobucket

Now inside of the barracks which were recreated, a picture on display of the bunk beds, and then what they recreated for today. There's another set of beds to the left of these.

Photobucket Photobucket

This picture creeps me out. I guess I just got a feeling of being a prisoner and looking out for just a moment. I could never put myself in those shoes and have any sense of knowing what it was actually like.

Photobucket

The dining area.

Photobucket

Bathing area and toilets.

Photobucket Photobucket

Some memorials near the maintenance building.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

And lastly, another picture which freaks me out. Maybe I got the sense that I was on the ground, which I imagine wasn't a good place to be. :(

Photobucket

I recommend reading this. Both stories on here are great for different reasons..one is looking at the present and future, the other at the past. I think this is a good ending for this post.

No comments: